- All property owners with one or more rental housing units in the City of Eau Claire must register their property with the Health Department by completing a registration form and submitting a fee of $5 per property.
- This is not an annual fee.
- If there is a change in ownership, properties must be re-registered with the new owner(s) by submitting a new application and $5 registration fee per property.
- If you sell a rental property, access your online account to remove the property(ies). If you need assistance, please call the Health Department at (715) 839-4718 to remove this property from your account.
- You do not need to register facilities that are inspected, owned, licensed or certified by the State of Wisconsin. These include:
- rest homes,
- convalescent (recovery) homes,
- nursing homes,
- assisted living centers,
- community based residential facilities,
- university-owned student dormitories,
- adult homes, and
- properties owned or operated by the Eau Claire Housing Authority
- Online: http://www.eauclairecounty.org/RentalRegistration/
- Phone: Call (715) 839-4718 Monday - Friday, 8am - 4pm. Be prepared to answer registration questions and provide credit card for payment.
- In-person: Visit the Health Department at 720 Second Ave., Eau Claire, WI 54703 Monday through Friday from 8am to 4pm. Be prepared to fill out the application (or bring it with you) and pay with cash, check or credit card.
- Mail: Print the application, fill out and mail with payment to Eau Claire City-County Health Department, 720 Second Ave., Eau Claire, WI 54703. Make checks payable to ECCC Health Department.
Follow the Step-by-Step instructions for online payment link at the top of the page
- Call (715) 839-4718
- Be prepared with your customer ID number (if you registered online) and amount due.
- Provide your credit card information
- Make check payable to the ECCC Health Department
- Include your customer ID number (if you registered online) and total amount due on the check.
- Mail to the Eau Claire City-County Health Department at 720 Second Ave., Eau Claire, WI 54703.
- Visit the Eau Claire City-County Health Department at 720 Second Ave., Eau Claire, WI 54703 between 8am and 4pm Monday through Friday.
- Bring a form of payment - cash, check, credit card.
- Know you customer ID number (if you registered online) and total amount due.
How do I get a password for my online rental registration account?Your password will be emailed to you when you register. You may reset your password anytime by clicking the "I Want To" dropdown menu on the rental registration website.
How often do I have to pay the registration fee?One time per owner. You do not need to register and/or pay annually. If there is a change in ownership, a new registration application and fee will need to be submitted by the new owner.
I forgot my password, what do I do?If you forget your password, click the "forgot password" on the login screen to the rental registration website. You will then be prompted to enter your email address and a reset password link will be sent to you. If you have difficulties doing so, please call the Health Department at (715) 839-4718.
I have a property with "1/2" in the address. Do I include that unit on the registration?No. Only list the main address of the property and not the "1/2."
I have rental properties that are in the City of Eau Claire but in Chippewa County, do I still have to register?Yes. If you have any rental property in the City of Eau Claire you must register.
Is my personal information distributed to the public? How is the information from rental registrations used?Your information is used by the Health Department inspectors. Your information will be accessible by the Eau Claire City Departments, including the Fire and Police Department. Your information is not distributed or available to the public unless an open records request is made.
What are the requirements of having to register my rental unit?
All properties containing at least one residential rental housing unit must register with the City of Eau Claire by submitting a fee of $5 per property and a completed registration form with the following information for each unit:
- Name of the owner
- Name, address and telephone number of authorized contact person
- Number of units
What does "per property" mean?Per property means each building structure. For example, if you have a home or apartment complex with 4 units all within one building/structure, the payment will be $5.
What if I do not receive my password?Please check your junk/spam email folder. If you did not receive the email, call the Health Department at (715) 839-4718 and we will be able to email and/or tell you your password.
What if I do not want to provide an email address to register my rental property(ies) online?If you do not want to provide an email address to register your property online, you may register your property by phone, in-person or mail by following the instructions in the section titled "How do I register my property(ies)."
What if I have multiple properties to register?
- If you are filling out the paper application form you may use multiple forms to ensure all properties within the City of Eau Claire are registered.
- If you are registering online, please follow the instructions at the top of the page titled "Step-by-Step Instructions for Online Payment."
What if I sell a property(ies)?If there is a change in ownership, properties must be re-registered with the new owner(s) by submitting a new application and $5 registration fee per property. The previous owner should access their online account to remove the property(ies). If you do not have access to an online account, call the Health Department at (715) 839-4718 to remove the property.
What is the penalty for not registering my property(ies)?Step enforcement will be taken for properties that are not registered.
Why do I have to register?
- Assist property owners to receive notifications as timely as possible and build stronger communication between City departments.
- Increase efficiency in notifying property owners of inspections.
- Facilitate faster resolution of violations.